Our swimmers compete in World, European, National, regional and local competitions in varying numbers throughout the year.
The English Nationals held in Sheffield over the last weekend in October each year tends to be the main highlight. The squad of twelve who competed in 2019 brought home 2 Gold, 4 Silver and 3 Bronze individual medals as well as a Relay Silver. The times recorded by our Men’s 60 – 64 years’ age group 4 x 100m Medley Relay in 2018 and 2019 have been in the top ten fastest in the world each year!
Between them, as of July 2020, sixteen of our current squad held 50 Short Course and 62 Long Course Beds County Masters & Seniors records over distances ranging from 50m to 1,500m, as well as four relay records. That reflected the breadth of talent and age range of our squad.
A great feature of all our competitive swim meets is the friendship and support shown poolside to everyone. Personal achievements however small or large are always acknowledged.
Click on the links below for details of some of our recent successes at Masters competitions.
Despite the Covid-19 pandemic bringing a rapid early halt to all swim meets in 2020, our Masters had still managed by March to set three new East Region and 17 Beds County records. Five of our Masters were already signed up to compete in the Europeans ….until they were cancelled. Meanwhile, on the domestic front, we were potentially poised for even further successes in the Team Decathlon competitions….our Ladies were ranked 36th in their competition ahead off the Men in 60th place (albeit with several of the Club’s ” usual suspects” yet to compete).
- Bracknell Masters – March 2020 – 4 More Beds Records
- Welsh Open (LC) – February 2020 – Medals For Jo Mitchinson
- South East Long Course – January 2020 – Record Breaking Start
It was in many ways a year for the Ladies, setting their first Beds County relay record whilst breaking into GB’s Top 50 Teams, despite not competing in the maximum potential number of qualifying events. Individual male honours included long-standing member, John O’Rourke, win his first ever GB medals whilst our 60 -64 years’ Medley Team still recorded the 10th fastest time in the world despite all being a year older.
- GB Masters Decathlon 2019 – Men’s Team 12th & Ladies 48th
- 2019 Masters Meet Reports
- Welsh Short Course – November 2019 – Three Medals forKelly Cooke
- National Short Course – October 2019 – Medals and County Records
- East Region Masters & Seniors – Sept 2019 – Nine Individual & Two Team Champions in 25 Medal Haul
- Barnet Masters Sprints Meet – Sept 2019 -Ladies Shine & a new Country Relay Record
- Swim England Open Water – Sept 2019 – Bronze Medal For Dave Wright
- Barnet Masters Distance Meet – July 2019 – Two More County Records For Sam Bradley
- GB Masters – May 2019 – Masters Go The Distance To Medal
- Newmarket Masters & Seniors – April 2019 – Lucky 13 Strike 35 Medal Haul
- Bracknell & Essex Masters – March 2019 – Masters & Seniors- Never Too Old To Improve!
- South East Long Course 2019 – Nine Medals & Two County Records To Start 2019
Our 60 – 64 years’ Mens 400m Medley relay recorded the 7th fastest time in the world whilst at the other end of the age spectrum Sam Bradley collected his first Beds County Masters record. Alex Mason meanwhile added Welsh Seniors medals to his English collection.
- GB Masters Decathlon 2018 – Best Ever Placings In Team Competitions (Men 9th, Ladies 92nd)
- 2018 Masters Meet Reports
- Swim Wales SC, Barnet 1500m & Etwall Masters- November 2018 – National Medals, County Records & Decathlon Points
- National Short Course – October 2018 – Eleven National Medals
- East Region Masters & Seniors – September 2018 – “Youngsters” Spearhead East Region Masters ‘ Medal Haul
- Open Water -July 2018 – Success Across The Ages
- Barnet Masters Distance Meet – July 2018 – Another Record For Alex
- GB Masters – June 2018 – 4 Silver, 2 Bronze & 4 County Records
- Midland & Erith Masters- May 2018 – 11 Medals at Midland Masters
- Newmarket Masters – April 2018 – Ladies Shine At Newmarket
- South East Long Course 2018 – Flying start to 2018
The year saw an expanding squad with younger swimmers returning or joining the Club and quickly achieving personal successes. Our Men reached the Top Ten in the GB Team Decathlon competition for the first time. Three of our swimmers competed in the World Masters championships in Hungary.
- Bedfordshire Masters & Seniors 2017 – Final Decathlon Results
- GB Masters Decathlon 2017 – Team Luton’s Men in GB Top Ten
- 2017 Masters Meet Reports
- Barnet 1500m & Etwall Masters – November 2017 – End of the Masters’ 2017 Campaign
- National Short Course – October 2017 – Seven Medals including a Gold for 21 year old Alex Mason
- East Region Masters & Seniors – October 2017 – Medal Strike At East Region Masters
- World Masters – August 2017 – Three Compete
- Barnet Masters Distance Meet – July 2017 -“New Kids on The Block”
- GB Masters – June 2017 – Ten Medals & Six County Records
- Newmarket Masters & Seniors – April 2017 – Karen Heads Medal Sweep
- South East Long Course Masters – January 2017 – Trio Win Golds
Individual glories came thick and fast, topped by Graham Powell breaking a British record at the GBs and going on to win two medals at the European Championships in London. Karen MacKenzie went from setting her first (of what has since been many) Beds County records to competing on the European stage .
- Bedfordshire Masters & Seniors 2016 – Final Decathlon Results
- GB Masters Decathlon 2016 – 3rd Year in Top 20
- 2016 Masters Meet Reports
- Etwall Eagles – November 2016 – Masters End 2016 Meets Ion A Team High
- National Short Course – October 2016 – Successes Galore At The 2016 English Nationals
- East Region Masters & Seniors – October 2016 – Trio Win East Region Medals
- Barnet Masters Meets – July & Sept 2016 – Every Master A Medal Winner (Again)
- Open Water – July 2016- Medals For Barton & Wright
- European Masters – May 2016 – Two European Medals For Graham Powell
- Newmarket Masters – April 2016 – Everyone A Medal Winner
- GB Masters – April 2016- Powell Smashes British Record
- Bracknell Masters – March 2016 – 4 East Region & 5 Beds County Records
- South East Long Course 2016 – Record Breaking Start
National success came across the board, be it in Open Water or in the pool at the British Long Course or English Nationals. We also retained the Top Non-Midlands Team Award at the “end of season” Etwall Masters Meet.
- Bedfordshire Masters & Seniors 2015 – Final Decathlon Results
- GB Masters Decathlon 2015 – Our Men’s Team Finish 13th
- 2015 Masters Meet Reports
- Etwall Eagles – November 2015 – We Retain Top Non- Midlands Team Award
- National Short Course – October 2015 – Team Luton Excels
- East Region Masters & Seniors – Medals Galore
- Barnet MasterSprint Meet – Sept 2015 – Stunning Debut For Eloise Turner
- Open Water – July 2015- National Silver For Dave Wright
- GB Masters – June 2015- GB Medals For Malcolm Barton & Alastair GIbb